The sleeping lion of Ponoig mountainwas so named by Gabriel Miró, the Alicante writer and poet at the start of 20th century. The peaks and curves of this marvellous formation resemble the mane of a magnificent feline: the lions head. Those who venture to discover the mountain which is in effect a true lion formed by peaks, deep ravines and an amazing watchtower peak at 1180 metres in height from where we observe an excellent panorama of the Costa Blanca will not be disappointed.
Ponoig is without doubt a unique mountain. Its elevated height coupled with its proximity to the Mediterranean has made it home to a series of distinct habitats that house numerous species of particularly interesting plants and animals. A biodiversity which turns this area into an environmental paradise.
The Ponoig trails tell us how its inhabitants lived, how they learnt the medicinal properties of the plants on its slopes and also how they survived the transformation this region has undergone during the last 50 years. The original stone walls are still in evidence today to tell us the story.
Of all the tales that you will hear perhaps the most delightful will be the silent one that you will feel with your senses: the gastronomy. We take you to a restaurant which will take you on a veritable journey through the area’s traditions, flavours and wealth of produce, respecting the original methods used to create these exceptional dishes. You will be in no doubt as to why the Costa Blanca is famed for its cuisine!
After lunch you might wish to extend your day by booking a visit to an excellent bodega in order to sample its exquisite wines and olive oils. This is available at a small extra charge.
You won’t regret booking with Oxytours. Seeing is believing.
- 08:30-09:30 Pick up from your accommodation *
- 10:00 Start guided hike by our Tour leader
- 11:30 Break for snack
- 14:00 Lunch at our selected restaurant
- 18:00 Transfer to accommodation of client and end of the journey
- * Exact time to be determined depending of your location
Prices by number of people
- 100 € by person. (VAT incl.)(4 to 8 people groups). Check price for a different number of participants.
- Transfers from your accommodation (*) to the area to visit
- Full guide service throughout
- Personal insurance
- Mid morning snack
- 5 course traditional lunch (set menu).
Price not includes
- Visit the Bodega (Additional extra. Booking optional).